The Oakland Ballet School offers adult classes for those interested in trying ballet for the very first time to the advanced dancer looking to continue their study and enjoyment of dance. Drop-in classes allow for flexibility in ones schedule while our adult sessions progress technique, vocabulary, and movement through 6-week courses.
Adult Introduction to Ballet
It’s never too late for adults to learn ballet! Our 6-week Intro I course is perfect for the absolute beginner. Our new Intro II course is ideal for dancers with some previous experience who want to refresh their basic ballet vocabulary and technique. This course is a continuation of Intro I. Instruction will progress and build on material from the previous week. Drop-in classes are not recommended.
- Introduction to Ballet II New Course – Monday 7:30-8:45pm
- 6 week course | April 9 – May 14
- Cost: $99
- Introduction to Ballet I – Sunday 11am-12:15pm
- 6 week course | April 15 – May 27 (No Class April 22)
- Cost: $99
- Sign up for both sessions! Monday & Sunday
- 6 week course | April 9 – May 27 (No Class April 22)
- Cost: $180
Registration procedures for 6-week adult course
- Download, print, and complete the ADULT INTRO TO BALLET 6-WEEK COURSE REGISTRATION FORM and waiver.
- Bring the form and payment to the first class or mail to: Oakland Ballet School – 2968 MacArthur Blvd, Oakland, CA 94602
Adult Drop-In Classes
The emphasis in these classes is on the enjoyment of movement, proper alignment, increased strength, and building an appreciation of dance. Classes begin with floor-barre exercises, which are designed to work on core strength, turn-out, and flexibility, followed by traditional barre and center work. Classes are on-going. Students may join at any time!
Beginning – Recommended for students who have taken an introductory course or who have had at least six months of previous ballet experience. Not best for the absolute beginner.
Beginning/Intermediate – This class is ideal for dancers who have had two or more years of ballet experience. Steps are combined to form more complex combinations both in the center and across the floor.
Open Advanced – This combined youth and adult class is ideal for the dancer who studied ballet throughout their youth or extensively as an adult. It is a challenging yet fun class that has increased emphasis on turns and jumps.
Drop-In Class Schedule
7:45pm-9:15pm – Beginning/Intermediate
7:30pm-9:00pm – Beginning
1:00pm-2:30pm – Open Youth & Adult Advanced
- Drop-in classes: $15/class
- Barre only rate: $11/class
- 1 class/week (4 classes per month): $60
- 2 classes/week (8 classes per month): $98
- 3 classes/week (12 classes per month): $126
- Drop-in payments are due before class.
- Credit Cards are not accepted at this time.
- Returned checks are subject to a fee of $25 per occurrence.
- Tuition is non-refundable and non-transferable.
- $35/30 minutes
- $60/1 hour
The adult program has no specific dress code. Dancers may wear ballet attire or any comfortable exercise attire. Form fitting clothing that is easy to move and stretch in is recommended. Ballet shoes are required.
Registration procedures for adult drop-in classes:
- Arrive 10 minutes prior to your first class to complete the adult registration form and waiver.
- Submit the above with class payment. Please contact us if you have any questions.